Thursday, April 1, 2010

Commonality, Part II: The University and the Church

The university and the church have a lot more in common than most people think.

For example, this week, my univerity is hosting a faculty & student symposium for members of the campus community to present their work.

It's amazing how different "research" looks in different fields. In the sciences, we spend as little time as possible on background so that we can show as much of our original work as possible. Meanwhile, presenters from the College of Business seem to spend the majority of the time on their title slide (this shocked me) talking about the background and motivation and then speed through their original work. I've also seen Dance students who's talks seem to be entirely historical research, without showing what a scientist would consider an original thesis.

They're all very different---so much so that they hardly seem to understand each other---but they're all equally part of the academic enterprise.

It's very much like the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are solely my own and do not reflect the views of any present or past employers, funding agencies, colleagues, organizations, family members, churches, insurance companies, or lawyers I have currently or in the past have had some affiliation with.

I make no money from this blog. Any book or product endorsements will be based solely on my enthusiasm for the product. If I am reviewing a copy of a book and I have received a complimentary copy from the publisher I will state that in the review.