Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Undergraduate Corner: Dream big, but keep your head in the game

On this blog, the first and third Tuesday of each month are dedicated to presenting discussion geared toward undergraduate students, in a series called, "Undergraduate Corner."

Today, you'll get to hear from my wife, Amy. Enjoy!

-------------------

Hi. I'm Amy, Brian's wife. He's given me the keyboard today to share a simple, but profound thought I've only recently wrapped my head around, as the title says: dream big, but keep your head in the game.


When I was an undergrad, I had big hopes, long-term year plans, meticulous GPA trackers, and color coded notebooks. I was the unstoppable force immovable objects dread. My goal, simply stated by my roommates so often, was to take over the world and I was going to use a finely sharpened #2 pencil to do it.


My senior year brought a series of life and perspective changing events (injury, boyfriend, breakup ... are some of mine, feel free to add your own to your mental list).


I found myself losing sight of my big dreams in the murky waters of the everyday mundane. Then, in the need for catharsis, I would attempt to catapult myself toward my dream, leaving the dreary day planner behind. I swung between these two extremes for years, along the way running blankly through graduation, first jobs, even marriage.


In 2009, I realized I had settled into a routine based life that lacked forward-movement. Most of my college "deadlines" and "goals" had passed. Just before beginning to wallow in self-pity, I remembered (after some not-so subtle reminders from a certain physics prof) that looking backward while trying to move forward will get you nowhere.


2010 will be a year of new goals set and met, of renewed vision and dreams. Along the way, I think I'll find my good ole #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are solely my own and do not reflect the views of any present or past employers, funding agencies, colleagues, organizations, family members, churches, insurance companies, or lawyers I have currently or in the past have had some affiliation with.

I make no money from this blog. Any book or product endorsements will be based solely on my enthusiasm for the product. If I am reviewing a copy of a book and I have received a complimentary copy from the publisher I will state that in the review.