Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Very Pascal-esque Experiment

Pascal said,
One must know when it is right to doubt, to affirm, to submit. Anyone who does otherwise does not understand the force of reason. Some men run counter to these three principles, either affirming that everything can be proved, because they know nothing about proof, or doubting everything, because they do not know when to submit, or always submitting, because they do not know when judgement is called for. (Pensees, 170)
This morning, I'm going to be putting this into action in a new group problem-solving system I'm introducing in my classes, which I read about in Just-in Time Teaching. The students will be randomly sorted into groups of three. Each student is assigned a different role: the Leader, the Scribe, and the Skeptic. Each of these reflects Pascal's actions of affirming, submitting, and doubting, respetively. Each group will receive one or two physics problems and given the majority of the class time to solve.


The Leader is to direct the group's conversation, putting forth ideas and looking things up in the textbook. Only the Scribe is allowed to write anything down. The Skeptic is to ask questions of and poke holes in what the Leader says.


This makes me excited, because it is, quite literally, Pascal in action! I'm excited to see how it works out. Tomorrow, I'll post a synopsis of how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are solely my own and do not reflect the views of any present or past employers, funding agencies, colleagues, organizations, family members, churches, insurance companies, or lawyers I have currently or in the past have had some affiliation with.

I make no money from this blog. Any book or product endorsements will be based solely on my enthusiasm for the product. If I am reviewing a copy of a book and I have received a complimentary copy from the publisher I will state that in the review.