Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Undergraduate Corner: When Do We Stop Cheering?

On this blog, the first and third Tuesday of each month are dedicated to presenting discussion geared toward undergraduate students, in a series called, "Undergraduate Corner."

As a physicist, I'm interested in phase transitions (such as the melting of ice into water or a substance beginning to superconduct), and I see the evidence of a phase transition at every college sporting event I attend: Students scream at the top of their lungs to support their team and distract their opponents (or, in the case of the game I attended last night, harass the coach hysterically), while alumni sit stoically, perhaps clapping when their team takes the lead.

I see the evidence of this phase transition, but have no idea how or when it occurs.

When do these students stop cheering? When do they stop being a vital part of their team's success and turn into silent observers? And, more importantly, why?

We could ask the same question of Christians who lose their fire. When (and why) do we stop cheering on the progress of the gospel? When (and why) do we become silent observers? When (and why) do we begin to care more about what we'll eat for lunch after church than who we can stop and take time to minister to?

I'm writing this as part of Undegraduate Corner because, for far too many Christians, this phase transition occurs either during college, or shortly thereafter. Let's pray that we'll remember that the Christian life is a marathon and a relay race, but not a sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are solely my own and do not reflect the views of any present or past employers, funding agencies, colleagues, organizations, family members, churches, insurance companies, or lawyers I have currently or in the past have had some affiliation with.

I make no money from this blog. Any book or product endorsements will be based solely on my enthusiasm for the product. If I am reviewing a copy of a book and I have received a complimentary copy from the publisher I will state that in the review.