Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Encouragement Mistiming

It's Week 8 of the semester - The week when...
  • ...my students have learned all the skills they need to learn, but have to be reminded daily that they still apply.
  • ...I have to lay down the law with some students and challenge them to manage their time better.
  • ...I have to tell some students that they should consider withdrawing from a course.
  • ...any special projects I wanted to start but haven't will have to wail until another semester.
This is the point in the semester when I have the greatest need of encouragement...

...and yet it's when encouragement is at its lowest. The irony is that those outside the educational world tend to think of offering encouragement at the very beginning of the semester (when we're running on the steam of excitement) or at the very end (when we've given up steam on the present semester and are hoping for a better run next time).

When have you experienced an encouragement mistiming?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are solely my own and do not reflect the views of any present or past employers, funding agencies, colleagues, organizations, family members, churches, insurance companies, or lawyers I have currently or in the past have had some affiliation with.

I make no money from this blog. Any book or product endorsements will be based solely on my enthusiasm for the product. If I am reviewing a copy of a book and I have received a complimentary copy from the publisher I will state that in the review.