Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thriving or Surviving?

Faculty Commons recently featured a My Ministry Minute by Joseph McRae Mellichamp entitled, "Going With the Flow – Or Following the Call?" He describes how, in hindsight, he had gone through much of his life haphazardly, rather than with intentionality. He says the difference was coming to understand his sense of calling, that he wants it to be said that he "used [his] position, [his] gifts and abilities, and [his] opportunity to impact [his] university and higher education for good and to reach [his] colleagues and students for Jesus."

I couldn't agree more.

I think another way of phrasing the contrast he makes is that it's the difference between thriving and surviving. I cheer every time I watch WALL-E (which is a lot) and hear the captain say, "I'm tired of surviving. I want to LIVE!" (These cheers are usually accompanied by flashbacks of graduate school.)

I hope that, as a professor, I help create opportunities for my students to thrive, and not just present challenges that make them content with survival. I want to help them live intentionally, and not just put more pressure on them to get by with the minimum.

How have you experienced the difference between surviving/going with the flow/getting by and thriving/following the call/progressing? How have you helped others thrive?

(Speaking of surviving, I just realized that I didn't make Tuesday's post an "Undergraduate Corner." Oops! Looks like I owe you one.)

1 comment:

  1. Well, to answer a previous question we tackled: that's human flourishing! I was thinking about Maslow's hierarchy of needs the other day, and realized that you could interpret the highest need of "self-realization" as the need, which is very deep indeed, to realize the image of God in which we were individually created free from the distortions of sin. To LIVE, not to survive.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

The views expressed on this blog are solely my own and do not reflect the views of any present or past employers, funding agencies, colleagues, organizations, family members, churches, insurance companies, or lawyers I have currently or in the past have had some affiliation with.

I make no money from this blog. Any book or product endorsements will be based solely on my enthusiasm for the product. If I am reviewing a copy of a book and I have received a complimentary copy from the publisher I will state that in the review.